Wednesday 22 January 2014

Roll cage and side doors

I must be getting to the end of the list for this seasons work on the Megabusa. The roll cage was purchased from Caged Laser Engineering. They get the best reputation on the forum in terms of quality and added weight. The GRP half doors were purchased from Aerodynamix.

The roll cage was about a month manufacturing in their factory in  Somerset. It came with instructions and a certificate of Homologation. If I said it was easy to fit I would be grossly understating the task.  Much fettling was required with the chassis mounting points. However I am more than pleased with the result. More importantly it looks safe, I expect the result will pass scrutinising and I think it makes the Megabusa package safer to drive.

The half doors are an excellent fit, the first Item I have purchased for that car that will be a minimal fitting job. I still have to attach some fixing straps. The half doors will add some safety in that they will keep your arms inside the car.

I must get some roll cage foam to avaoid bashing my head getting in!

Contents

There is a contents page Link

Modified boot box




Half door

Homologation certificate

Internal side metalwork
Finish cage install




4 comments:

  1. the doors look good how are you holding them to the car?

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the early thoughts stage. I am well impressed with them as a concept, they fit very well and look great with the roll bar. I might make a nylon bobbin with a slot, then make a channel in the door to match the slot in the bobbin (at the front)? Then some sort of catch or strap at the other end. All comments welcome at this stage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. if helmet can touch cage when driver strapped in then those sections must have cage foam fitted. Renny will confirm for you. Make doors removable. They wont do much to keep you safe, only training the brain to not stick arms out in incident will work :) Looks like they may restrict arm movement if needing to input large/fast corrections in when get it sideways :) Good for keeping some of the mud out when on the grass tho' !! Looking good.

    ReplyDelete